Teacher’s Guide – The Odyssey
- Why Teach Homer’s The Odyssey?
- Before you begin
- For younger readers, an overview of the book’s structure helps, before the student starts to read.
- Have the student read aloud until you think they are comfortable with the text.
- Make sure the student understands that many of the literary techniques are used to help the performer of the poetry or the listener of the poetry, since the poem originated in oral form and was only written down hundreds of years later.
- Find a map of the ancient Mediterranean world and point out the various places featured in the Odyssey. You can even highlight the travels of the characters as it is read. Here is an interactive Odyssey Map from the University of Pennsylvania.